About that title...

If you've worked in law enforcement in California, you've no doubt seen the ubiquitous CHP Collision Report form (aka the 555).

Since my job is handling traffic collisions, I do a lot of 555s (several hundred a year). 

Here you'll find my ruminations about collisions, and the world in general, as I attempt to make sense of it all. 


Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snow day!?!

Here in Cali, people can barely keep their vehicles on the roadway at the best of times (clear, daylight, light traffic). Throw some weather into the mix, or at least what passes for weather here on the Left Coast, and chaos ensues.

I'm pretty sure that in other parts of the country that get snowed on regularly, the first snowfall of the season isn't cause to send TV news crews up to the higher elevations, cameras in hand, so that some Ken/Barbie can stand by the side of the roadway in order to show the folks at home what snow looks like. Every. Single. Winter. (FWIW, I suggested they just stick some fake pine trees in the station parking lot, buy a big fan, and throw some Ivory Snow around as the reporter stands there. It'd have to be cheaper.)

So tomorrow, the National Weather Service is calling for snow levels down to 1,000 feet. Which means the SmallCity PD Traffic Unit might be in for about two or three times the normal number of collisions. I, howver, will be enjoying my day off. I might turn the scanner on, though, just to hear the insanity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment